Bell pepper nutrition, glycemic index, calories, net carbs & more
Bell pepper carbs
Green pepper is not particularly dense in nutrients, as it consists of 94% water. The remaining 6% are nutrients, predominantly carbs. One hundred grams of green pepper contains 4.64g of carbs, covering 2% of the daily need (in the case of a 2000 calorie diet).
Carbs per serving size
The average serving size of bell pepper is one medium pepper (~119g), containing 5.52g of carbs.
One large (164g) and one small (74g) peppers contain 7.61g and 3.43g of carbs, respectively.
Bell peppers can be yellow and red as well. These two types are relatively higher in carbs.
Carbohydrate type breakdown
Most of the pepper carbs that break down to simple sugars are glucose and fructose. Green pepper contains an insignificant level of sucrose as well; however, it is absent in red pepper.
Carbohydrate type breakdown
Bell pepper net carbs
As previously mentioned, a 100g of green pepper contains 4.64g of carbs: 2.94g net carbs and 1.7g dietary fiber.
Green pepper is the best choice for low-carb diets, such as keto, as it contains the least net carbs, compared to yellow (5.42g of net carbs) and red (3.93g) peppers.
Nevertheless, for a high fiber diet, the best choice is red pepper (2.1g of dietary fiber), then green (1.7g), and yellow (0.9g) peppers.
Soluble or insoluble fiber
65% of green pepper’s dietary fiber is insoluble (1). Insoluble fiber helps during constipation by making the food move faster and increasing stool bulk.
Fiber content ratio for Bell pepper
Important nutritional characteristics for Bell pepper
Bell pepper Glycemic index (GI)
Mineral coverage chart
Mineral chart - relative view
Vitamin coverage chart
Vitamin chart - relative view
Protein quality breakdown
Fat type information
All nutrients for Bell pepper per 100g
|Nutrient||DV%||In TOP % of foods||Value||Comparison|
|Net carbs||N/A||63%||2.94g||18.4 times less than Chocolate|
|Protein||2%||86%||0.86g||3.3 times less than Broccoli|
|Fats||0%||89%||0.17g||195.9 times less than Cheese|
|Carbs||2%||61%||4.64g||6.1 times less than Rice|
|Calories||1%||97%||20kcal||2.4 times less than Orange|
|Fructose||1%||85%||1.12g||5.3 times less than Apple|
|Sugar||N/A||58%||2.4g||3.7 times less than Coca-Cola|
|Fiber||7%||40%||1.7g||1.4 times less than Orange|
|Calcium||1%||76%||10mg||12.5 times less than Milk|
|Iron||4%||83%||0.34mg||7.6 times less than Beef|
|Magnesium||2%||84%||10mg||14 times less than Almond|
|Phosphorus||3%||88%||20mg||9.1 times less than Chicken meat|
|Potassium||5%||65%||175mg||1.2 times more than Cucumber|
|Sodium||0%||94%||3mg||163.3 times less than White Bread|
|Zinc||1%||88%||0.13mg||48.5 times less than Beef|
|Copper||7%||72%||0.07mg||2.2 times less than Shiitake|
|Vitamin E||2%||63%||0.37mg||3.9 times less than Kiwifruit|
|Vitamin C||89%||11%||80.4mg||1.5 times more than Lemon|
|Vitamin B1||5%||68%||0.06mg||4.7 times less than Pea|
|Vitamin B2||2%||88%||0.03mg||4.6 times less than Avocado|
|Vitamin B3||3%||79%||0.48mg||19.9 times less than Turkey meat|
|Vitamin B5||2%||89%||0.1mg||11.4 times less than Sunflower seed|
|Vitamin B6||17%||46%||0.22mg||1.9 times more than Oat|
|Folate||3%||62%||10µg||6.1 times less than Brussels sprout|
|Vitamin K||6%||52%||7.4µg||13.7 times less than Broccoli|
|Tryptophan||0%||95%||0.01mg||25.4 times less than Chicken meat|
|Threonine||0%||95%||0.04mg||20 times less than Beef|
|Isoleucine||0%||96%||0.02mg||38.1 times less than Salmon|
|Leucine||0%||96%||0.04mg||67.5 times less than Tuna|
|Lysine||0%||96%||0.04mg||11.6 times less than Tofu|
|Methionine||0%||97%||0.01mg||13.7 times less than Quinoa|
|Phenylalanine||0%||91%||0.09mg||7.3 times less than Egg|
|Valine||0%||96%||0.04mg||56.4 times less than Soybean|
|Histidine||0%||97%||0.01mg||74.9 times less than Turkey meat|
|Saturated Fat||0%||85%||0.06g||101.6 times less than Beef|
|Monounsaturated Fat||N/A||93%||0.01g||1224.9 times less than Avocado|
|Polyunsaturated fat||N/A||88%||0.06g||760.9 times less than Walnut|
Check out similar food or compare with current
NUTRITION FACTS LABEL
Serving Size ______________
Bell pepper nutrition infographic
The source of all the nutrient values on the page (excluding the main article and glycemic index text the sources for which are presented separately if present) is the USDA's FoodCentral. The exact link to the food presented on this page can be found below.