Agave nectar nutrition, glycemic index, calories, net carbs & more
Carbohydrates in Agave Nectar
Agave nectar, also known as maguey syrup or agave syrup, is a natural sweetener produced from agave succulents. Naturally, agave nectar is very high in carbohydrates, consisting of 76% carbs, 23% water, and less than 1% other nutrients.
Carbohydrates per 100g
A 100g serving of agave nectar, equalling nearly 5tbsp, contains 76.37g carbohydrates.
This puts agave nectar in the top 6% of foods as a source of carbohydrates.
A hundred grams of agave nectar provide 25% of the daily needed value of carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates per Serving Size
One average serving size of agave nectar per person is a quarter cup weighing 55g.
One serving size of agave nectar provides 42g of carbohydrates.
The carbohydrate content of agave nectar consists of 99.7% net carbs and only 0.3% of dietary fiber.
Fiber content ratio for Agave nectar
Agave nectar’s sugar content is composed of two sugars - fructose and glucose. Fructose comprises 82% of sugars, while glucose makes up the other 18%.
Carbohydrate type breakdown
Comparison to Other Sweeteners
If interested, you can read the complete nutrition and health impact comparison of “Agave Nectar vs. Honey.”
By looking at the table below, you can see how agave nectar compares to other sweeteners in terms of carbohydrate content.
Carbohydrates, per serving
Carbohydrates, per 100g
42g (¼ cup or 55g)
65g (¼ cup or 83g)
56g (¼ cup or 83g)
17g (1tbs or 21g)
4g (1tsp or 4.2g)
4g (1tsp or 4.2g)
Important nutritional characteristics for Agave nectar
Agave nectar Glycemic index (GI)
Mineral coverage chart
Mineral chart - relative view
Vitamin coverage chart
Vitamin chart - relative view
All nutrients for Agave nectar per 100g
|Nutrient||DV%||In TOP % of foods||Value||Comparison|
|Net carbs||N/A||4%||76.17g||1.4 times more than Chocolate|
|Protein||0%||95%||0.09g||31.3 times less than Broccoli|
|Fats||1%||81%||0.45g||74 times less than Cheese|
|Carbs||25%||6%||76.37g||2.7 times more than Rice|
|Calories||16%||28%||310kcal||6.6 times more than Orange|
|Fructose||70%||80%||55.6g||9.4 times more than Apple|
|Sugar||N/A||22%||68.03g||7.6 times more than Coca-Cola|
|Fiber||1%||59%||0.2g||12 times less than Orange|
|Calcium||0%||97%||1mg||125 times less than Milk|
|Iron||1%||93%||0.09mg||28.9 times less than Beef|
|Magnesium||0%||97%||1mg||140 times less than Almond|
|Phosphorus||0%||97%||1mg||182 times less than Chicken meat|
|Potassium||0%||98%||4mg||36.8 times less than Cucumber|
|Sodium||0%||92%||4mg||122.5 times less than White Bread|
|Zinc||0%||98%||0.01mg||631 times less than Beef|
|Copper||1%||96%||0.01mg||15.8 times less than Shiitake|
|Vitamin E||7%||47%||0.98mg||1.5 times less than Kiwifruit|
|Vitamin C||19%||20%||17mg||3.1 times less than Lemon|
|Vitamin B1||10%||43%||0.12mg||2.2 times less than Pea|
|Vitamin B2||13%||55%||0.17mg||1.3 times more than Avocado|
|Vitamin B3||4%||74%||0.69mg||13.9 times less than Turkey meat|
|Vitamin B6||18%||45%||0.23mg||2 times more than Oat|
|Folate||8%||42%||30µg||2 times less than Brussels sprout|
|Vitamin K||19%||47%||22.5µg||4.5 times less than Broccoli|
Check out similar food or compare with current
NUTRITION FACTS LABEL
Serving Size ______________
Agave nectar nutrition infographic
The source of all the nutrient values on the page (excluding the main article and glycemic index text the sources for which are presented separately if present) is the USDA's FoodCentral. The exact link to the food presented on this page can be found below.